Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#222185 - 04/09/2002 11:06 Using rio as a hpna->ethernet bridge
batkiwi
stranger

I currently have a mixed homepna2.0 and ethernet network. I'm using a single netgear homepna->ethernet bridge, and all my homepna clients are simply that... clients.

I now need ethernet in my living room due to getting a ps2 network adapter, and so that I can use my old dreamcast network adapter as well. I can't run ethernet drops as I'm in an apartment, and don't want to drag a cord 50 feet from my computer room to the living room.

I have a rio receiver in my living room, though, running off of homepna...

I thought about buying another ethernet->homepna bridge, but the following things have stopped me:
-150$ price
-sold out everywhere I see... maybe end of lifed?
-rio receiver has an ethernet port and a homepna port, just like the bridge!

Is there any way that I can use the rio to do this for me? The end result would be that I'd keep the rio powered on all the time. I'd like to be able to use it as both a bridge (no nat or anything, just 100% bridging) and to play music at the same time.

Does it have enough horsepower/ram/etc for this?

I feel all I should need to do is compile iptables for arm and load it in with 2-3 rules or something like that, but I've got no idea where to start...

Anyone with any thoughts or ideas?
I'm currently running jreceiver, so it'd be easy to load in replacement files for the receiver.

#222186 - 04/09/2002 12:29 Re: Using rio as a hpna->ethernet bridge [Re: batkiwi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
As I recall, I did bring up this subject here on this BBS in the past. I think it's one of the earliest messages here on the BBS. There was a small discussion on that topic. I'm not sure what came of it. Perhaps try a search?

Having done the networking thing in an apartment before, I can say that it's not that tough to do. I run the cabling around the edge of the floor, tucked under the carpet beneath the baseboards, just outside the carpet tack strip. If you're only running one cable, there's enough room to do it invisibly. You can sneak it under doorways, too, if you're tricky...

#222187 - 04/09/2002 12:41 Re: Using rio as a hpna->ethernet bridge [Re: tfabris]
batkiwi
stranger

Thanks for the reply, but that's not at all what I'm looking for :P

Just take my word for it, due to the physical layout of the apartment, I can't run cabling from the computer room to the den. I've run cable to other areas by doing the baseboard thing, but it wont work here (a stone floored entryway and other obstacles) and the wife won't allow it if there's any cable showing (I won't either, to be honest).

#222188 - 04/09/2002 13:00 Re: Using rio as a hpna->ethernet bridge [Re: batkiwi]
dave
new poster

Loc: San Diego, CA
I'm going to me in a similar situation myself when I move into my new place. I'll take a look at this soon and see if I can make it work.

#222189 - 04/09/2002 17:42 Re: Using rio as a hpna->ethernet bridge [Re: batkiwi]
mef

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I think it is mostly a matter of recompiling the kernel with IP routing or bridging support built in. One of the hassles in the past has been with the HPNA driver. I am not sure if such a thing exists in source format that works with the RIO.